Things To Do
Updated for 2024
Are you looking for a change of pace, wanting to slow down, or ready to embark on your next adventure? Make your way to Calistoga, California, for a weekend escape from the vibrant hustle of San Francisco. The serene landscapes of Napa Valley may be just what you need! Weekend trips from San Francisco to Calistoga promise picturesque vineyards, rolling hills, a small-town atmosphere, and plenty of activities to fill your cup. Plan your stay with Craftsman Inn or Calistoga Wine Way Inn to truly wind down and settle into countryside living.
Getting Here from San Francisco
As you embark on your relaxing weekend getaway, plan on taking the scenic route from San Francisco to Calistoga. Instead of bustling through city traffic, avoid the Golden Gate Bridge and choose countryside driving instead. To get to Calistoga Wine Way Inn and Craftsman Inn, take I-80 out of the city to enjoy a drive through Napa Valley, and peer out at the fields of vineyards.
Before settling into your accommodations, you can also plan a drive through Robert Louis Stevenson State Park, just North of Calistoga. And if you’re looking for an even greater escape from city traffic, a great way to enjoy the scenery is to take on one of the top five biking trails near Calistoga, CA.
Things to Do on Your Weekend Trip
Napa Valley has more than just incredible wine. Explore all the fun things to do in Calistoga, like visiting the Old Faithful Geyser of California, view the valley from the skies with Napa Valley Aloft hot air balloon rides, or tour Castello di Amorosa—a Tuscan-style castle perfect for a winery tour.
You should also discover what Calistoga is famous for: its relaxing natural hot springs and mineral pools! Calistoga Motor Lodge and Spa is the perfect place for pampering poolside, the best way to wind down from city life. Whether you’re in the mood to chill out or explore, there is something for everyone in the Valley.
View More Things to Do
Dining and Drinks
Restaurants priding farm-to-table menu items, personable service, and carefully crafted wines make for a unique dining experience in Napa Valley. There are plenty of fan favorites, depending on your mood.
For breakfast, Napa Valley Lodging has partnered up with Calistoga Roastery to provide visitors with a “Breakfast like the Locals” experience. Grab a breakfast sandwich and coffee to-go before hitting up your daily itinerary.
Stop into Sam’s Social Club for vibrant dining and classic American cuisine during lunchtime. Pizza, steaks, and soup and salad combos will have you wanting more! Dinner options won’t leave you disappointed in the valley, so check out Fleetwood Restaurant for a Mediterranean medley or House of Better for healthy comfort food.
And it wouldn’t be a Napa Valley getaway without a winery visit. Narrowing down a list of 250 wineries can be daunting, so we’ve got every recommendation under the sun according to your preferences. A classic suggestion is Beaulieu Vineyard, one of the vintner veterans of the valley.
View More Dining Recommendations
Sometimes, you just want to get out of the city and disconnect, unplug, and unload. Staying with Napa Valley Lodging gives you the convenience of downtown living while providing the comfort and solitude a city life may lack. Choose to spoil yourself with a special package upon booking, or check in to your romantic oasis at Craftsman Inn or Calistoga Wine Way Inn. Whatever weekend getaway style you are going for, expect comfortable lodging and a memorable experience you won’t want to miss out on.
Life in the Slow Lane
Weekend trips from San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, Berkeley, or other nearby cities to Calistoga are the escape to wind down in the slow lane. There is something to do to fill any kind of weekend excursion. Calistoga is known for its relaxing atmosphere, friendly small-town vibes, and comfortable stays at top-notch Inns like Craftsman Inn and Calistoga Wine Way Inn. So visit us today!
It’s no wonder so many couples choose Napa Valley for their romantic getaways. it’s an easy drive from San Francisco; with the abundance of picturesque views, gourmet dining, and charming vineyards, it is easy to see that Napa Valley is the epicenter of romance. But there’s more to the valley than just wining and dining. Here are seven of our favorite ways to celebrate romance in Napa Valley:
- Take a Romantic Ride on the Wine Train—The Wine Train is hubbed out of Napa and will take you through the heart of wine country. Choose from a variety of experiences, such as half and full-day winery tours, dining experiences, and special events like murder mystery theater and holiday specials. Make sure to take a minute to stop at the Love Lock Bridge and add your own padlock to the collection of couples who have publicly proclaimed their love for one another in Napa Valley.
- Take a Ride in a Hot Air Balloon—Imagine soaring across one of the most beautiful valleys in the world with your loved one in your arms. Private flights offer you a way to see all of the natural wonders of the valley from a bird’s eye view. Check out the romantic packages offered through Calistoga Balloons.
- Pack a Picnic Lunch and Go For a Stroll—There’s an endless amount of romantic spots to enjoy a picnic lunch together in Napa Valley. Check out this list of wineries that allow picnicking on their property. Also, consider Pioneer Park, the Oat Hill Mine Trail in Robert Louis Stevenson State Park, or the Petrified Forest. Make a stop for supplies at Oxbow Public Market which offers all sorts of fresh Napa Valley produce.
- See a Show—Enjoy music and live entertainment with your loved one at one of the many venues in the valley. The Napa Valley Performing Arts Center in Yountville offers programs year-round, and Upstage Napa Valley is a great option for an intimate setting.
- Horse Rides—Take a scenic ride through the valley on horseback with a tour from Triple Creek Horse Outfit. These guided tours offer serenity, romance, and a chance to get back to nature in some of the best surroundings the valley has to offer. Wind your way through vineyards, shady wooded groves, and peaceful countryside with your favorite partner by your side.
- Couple’s massage—There’s no better way to relax and unwind than with a luxurious, peaceful full-body massage. Enjoy this bliss with your loved one by your side with a couple’s massage from any of our various local spas. We’ll even arrange for a private experience at our inn if you prefer.
- Stay at a Romantic Bed & Breakfast—A stay at Calistoga’s Wine Way Inn and Craftsman Inn is peak romance. We offer luxurious accommodations, gourmet breakfast, and beautiful rooms that will make your romantic getaway absolutely perfect. Our Wine & Dine package offers romance at every step with champagne and chocolates upon arrival, vouchers for fine dining, and tours & tastings at local vineyards and wineries. Reserve our Silverado Room or Lokoya Room for a jetted clawfoot tub or try the Spring Room for a private porch and separate entrance. You will find yourself feeling right at home in our luxurious accommodations.
Book your anniversary trip today!
Use our guide to Old Faithful Geyser when looking for things to do in California. You can visit this scenic natural wonder 365 days a year and enjoy several other attractions at the site as well. During your stay at the Calistoga Wine Way Inn or Craftsman Inn, you can plan a full day of fun or squeeze in a few viewings of Old Faithful Geyser between wine tastings.
1299 Tubbs Lane, Calistoga, CA 94515
One of the most photographed features of the State of California, the Old Faithful Geyser of California is just that, faithfully predictable. It consistently offers sprays reaching up to 80 feet in height, lasting 2-6 minutes each. Fueled by underground heat, pressure, and water, the geyser erupts when the heat below the surface boils the colder groundwater and forces it out of the earth in a hot, steamy spray. Such a sight is often accompanied by a stunning rainbow, waving hello to all its viewers.
Part of what makes this particular geyser so fascinating is that scientists have found that it can help predict earthquakes. When the frequency of the gushes lessens, there is a good chance that an earthquake is impending–anywhere from two days to two weeks away. It sets the California geyser apart from other geysers, such as the famed Yellowstone Park geyser, whose sprays typically change after a seismic event. The site features plenty of seating at a safe distance from the hot liquid, so you can marvel at the show comfortably, snap a few pictures, and then explore the rest of the site afterward.
One of the highlights of the Old Faithful Geyser site is the Gardens. They are a great place to relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery. Lush with native plants and a natural mineral water fountain, this serene garden showcases the beauty of the Palisade Mountain Range and Robert Louis Stevenson State Park just beyond the gardens.
You can also make new furry friends while visiting the Animal Farm. There are currently two new arrivals at the farm- Nigerian Dwarf goats and horses.
Make a point to walk through history at the Geological Museum—a collection of research and discovery two years in the making. This hands-on experience will teach you the mechanics of a geyser, the influence of earthquakes and volcanos, and the history of the people in the region. You’ll be a geyser expert in no time!
The Old Faithful Geyser of California site is a great place for a picnic, a game of bocce ball, and souvenir shopping. Pack a picnic lunch or buy some light snacks and drinks at the gift shop to make a day of it. The picnic tables and bocce area are an addition to the grounds that delight guests every year. The gift shop is also a great place to pick up wine country-esc goodies for friends and family back home.
Plan Your Visit
With our guide to Old Faithful Geyser, it’s a great time to start planning your next visit! Please review their seasonal hours and pricing details, which may vary throughout the year. Check availability, choose your room, and pack your bags for a fun-filled getaway. We can’t wait to see you soon!
Published October 2023
While the brisk autumn breeze is a rare occurrence in our corner of the state, we’ve compiled a list of the top 5 things to do this fall in Calistoga, CA, to help you embrace the upcoming season. When we think of fall, we think of plenty of wine and local food pairings, smooth jazz and blues, and harvest fests that celebrate the bountiful reaping of local farmers’ hard work. Plan on the warm weather, but you can slow things down, embrace the season of change, and cozy up at either our Calistoga Wine Way Inn or Craftsman Inn for your fall getaway.
1. Vineyard Picnic Lunch
Pair your winetasting with a vineyard tour and picnic lunch. Enjoy your afternoon on the picturesque estate of Clos Pegase Vineyard and take in the surrounding views atop your favorite picnic blanket. This unique wine-tasting experience combines local, seasonally inspired food items with wines that enhance and inspire your taste buds. After your lunch, explore the cave system and peruse the Tuscan-inspired garden.
2. Buster’s BBQ Jazz and Blues
Plop down to your patio table with a pile of BBQ ribs, tri-tip, or pulled pork menu options at Buster’s Southern BBQ. Soulful jazz and blues melodies will have you happy dancing in your seat. You can look forward to this weekly jam session every Sunday from 3 to 6 pm, one of the best free things to do this fall!
3. Villa Ca’Toga Weekly Tour
Step into the mind and world of Carlo Marchiori, a Venetian artist, at his residence and studio with a Villa Ca’Toga Tour. This guided tour navigates around the villa’s tasteful gardens, pools, and stunning Venetian-inspired architecture. His work includes a range of mediums, from paintings to statues, that will have you feeling as though you have been transported halfway across the world. Add this to your list because this weekly Saturday tour ends in October.
4. V. Sattui Crush Party
One of the reasons you should experience Napa Valley is to see where your wine comes from. And what better way to do so than with a party! The V. Sattui Crush Party celebrates the year’s successful harvests with highlights like wood-fired pizzas, live music, wine tasting, and a good old-fashioned grape stomp. This celebration will take place on October 13, 2023, so be sure to add this unique event to your list!
5. Outdoor Exploring
From experience, we know that the last couple weeks of October is the best time of year to see the new season appear. Plan on exploring the Napa Valley on one of the top five biking trails. Another option is to hike through Rober Louis Stevenson State Park. Finally, you may also stop by the Old Faithful Geyser of California, right in town! At our inns, we are within walking distance of our town’s favorite shops and restaurants. It’s the perfect time to enjoy the outdoors as much as possible.
Calistoga, California, offers a captivating blend of outdoor delights and cultural experiences that make it a must-visit destination this fall. Your schedule will be packed with unique wine-tasting endeavors, bountiful local foods, soulful jam sessions, and a cornucopia of autumn memories to stuff into your suitcase. Remember this list of 5 top things to do this fall in Calistoga, CA, while you plan your stay. We’re the perfect host for your seasonal adventure!
Published September 2023