Food & Drink
Calling All Truffle Enthusiasts!
The Napa Truffle Festival weekend is coming up on January 17-20, 2020. It will bring together truffle experts from around the world who will share their knowledge of these delicious delicacies. Whether you’re a foodie looking to enjoy the exquisite and unique flavors of black truffles, or you’re looking to learn about the art and science of cultivating morels, there will be something for you!
The Napa Truffle Festival was started in 2010 by the American Truffle Company who wanted to bring their enthusiasm for all things truffle to the American public. The goal is twofold—to educate truffle enthusiasts and cultivators, while also showcases the truly remarkable flavors these little delicacies are capable of adding to a dish. The festival also focuses on giving back to the community by donating its proceeds to the food bank of Community Action of Napa Valley among other places.
Several wineries will be hosting the event, and Michelin star chefs will be creating the menu. Ken Frank, a Michelin star chef recognized as America’s expert on truffles, is the master behind the menu. He is the only American chef that has been invited to the exclusive White Truffle Festival in Alba, Italy and holds the title of Knight of the Truffle and Wines of Alba.
Experience the Complete Life Cycle of a Black Truffle
There is a broad range of activities being offered, from the scientific elements of growing truffles to cooking demonstrations and wine and food pairings. You can even choose to go on your own truffle hunt and learn about finding them in the wild. A truffle-hunting dog demonstration will be offered on Friday which will include wine tastings from Robert Sinsky Vineyards. Don’t miss the five-course dinner offered Saturday night by La Toque and the Michelin star chefs. To finish off a weekend of education and culinary delights, stop by the Oxbow Public Market to purchase fresh truffles to bring home and experiment for yourself.
Image Courtesy of Napa Truffle Festival
Make It a Long Weekend of Luxury
A stay at the Wine Way Inn or Craftsman Inn is the perfect way to experience this event. We are a quick drive from Napa and offer an incredible amount of amenities that will make your weekend perfect. Choose a room that suits your tastes and add on a decadent package of wine, cheese, or chocolates. Don’t miss your chance to experience this distinguished event in the heart of wine country!
Napa Valley Has Everything You Want in a Getaway
While Napa Valley is best known for its world-famous vineyards and its exquisite wines, there are more things to do in the area than you might expect. Take a look at these 10 must-see attractions and see why a getaway to our Calistoga Wine Way Inn and Craftsman Inn are perfect for an escape into wine country.
- Castello di Amarosa—This 13th century-inspired castle winery is a huge draw to the area. Book a package through our inns and enjoy a castle tour, premium wine tasting, and a complimentary shuttle ride!
- Visit a Michelin Three-Star Restaurant—Napa Valley is home to not one, but two, world-class restaurants that are worth including in your getaway plans:
- Pack a Picnic and Take a Hike—There is an incredible amount of spectacular hiking in the valley. Check out “7 Amazing Hikes Near Napa Valley” for a look at some of our favorites!
- Visit Wineries and Tasting Rooms—The beauty of Napa Valley is that there are SO many options for wine tastings and vineyard tours. We recommend using this guide to narrow down your options based on location, experience types, and wine flavors. We also offer a list of some of our favorites here.
- Mineral Springs—While Napa Valley is known for its vineyards, a lesser-known regional feature is the mineral springs. Spend a day at a luxury spa for a truly rejuvenating getaway.
- Take a Balloon Ride—Napa Valley makes for a truly remarkable birds-eye-view. Let out your inner thrill-seeker with a journey across the valley in a hot air balloon. Some options include:
- Take a Tour or a Ride on the Wine Train—Because there are so many options for restaurants, wineries, and vineyards, it can really take the guesswork out of planning your getaway by hopping on a tour bus, taking a ride on the famous Wine Train, or signing up for a food & wine walking tour.
- Ride a Horse—Connect with your inner cowboy/cowgirl with a horseback ride from Triple Creek Horse Outfit. There’s just nothing quite as peaceful as hitting the trail with these graceful creatures.
- Shopping—Napa Valley is a mecca for artists and artisans, so there is no shortage of fun shopping to experience. Whether you’re looking for a unique gift for someone special or you would like to take home a one-of-a-kind souvenir, you’ll find it in Napa Valley. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Stay with Us!—We are the premier place to stay in Napa Valley. Our two properties—the Wine Way Inn and Craftsman Inn—are consistently rated high for our beautifully appointed rooms, our delicious gourmet breakfasts, and our superior location. Come see why we have been given Trip Advisor’s Certificate of Excellence for 8 years! Book a room today to create the getaway of your dreams!
A Christmas Tradition with a Purpose
It’s time to make holiday getaway plans! If top-notch dining is high on your list of vacation priorities, then you will love the Restaurant at Meadowood’s 12 Days of Christmas Dinners. This Christmas season Chef Christopher Kostow will bring in world-class chefs from far and wide to this Michelin 3-star restaurant in St. Helena. These charitable feasts will not only bring you truly exquisite dining but will also benefit the St. Helena Preschool For All, Inc. scholarship fund.
Each evening will feature a menu inspired by the chef’s unique style paired with the wholesome ingredients from the 3.5-acre farm at Meadowood. Chefs will come from as far away as Denmark, Mexico, Hong Kong, and Portugal, while others will represent the best of their region in the United States.
The World-Famous Chefs
The line-up of chefs you can expect to see this year are:
- Friday, December 6: Chef Gabriela Cámara from Mexico City, Mexico
- Saturday, December 7: Chef John Shields from Chicago, Illinois
- Tuesday, December 10: Chef Daniel Calvert from Hong Kong, China
- Wednesday, December 11: Chef Jose Avillez from Lisbon, Portugal
- Thursday, December 12: Chef Junghyun Park from New York City, United States
- Friday, December 13: Chef Jeremy Chan & Ire Hassan-Odukale from London, England
- Saturday, December 14: Chef Nicolai Norregaard from Copenhagen, Denmark
- Tuesday, December 17: Chef Brady Williams from Seattle, United States
- Wednesday, December 18: Chef Jeremy Charles from Newfoundland, Canada
- Thursday, December 19: Chef Malcolm Lee from Candlenut, Singapore
- Friday, December 20: Chef Val M. Cantu from San Fransisco, United States
- Saturday, December 21: Chef Christopher Kostow from Napa Valley, United States
This is a Christmas celebration you don’t want to miss. Expect superb service, beautiful place settings, mouth-watering cuisine, and excellent wine pairings. Guests keep coming back to this event year after year to experience unique, inventive cuisine that they would otherwise have to travel the world for.
Make Us A Part of Your Holiday Tradition
We love to make fresh, homegrown food a part of your stay at the Wine Way Inn and Craftsman Inn too. Napa Valley is a mecca of fine dining, and we are no exception. Start your day off with our gourmet breakfast and finish it by enjoying the world-class fare at the Restaurant at Meadowood. It’s a tradition you’ll love to come back for! Book a room today!
Why Take a Food & Wine Tour?
One of the hardest parts of planning a trip to Napa Valley is narrowing down all the wonderful options to fit into the amount of time you have to spend in the area. Which wineries are the best? What restaurants do the locals love? Where is the best place to stay? (If you’ve been a guest at the Wine Way Inn or Craftsman Inn, you already know the answer to that!) One great way to solve this problem is to sign up to take a tour. Local experts will guide you through the best-of-the-best, offering context and history to each stop. The St. Helena Food and Wine Tour is a favorite of ours and will make you an area expert in no time!
St. Helena Food & Wine Tour Has It All
The St. Helena Food and Wine Tour is listed as one of U.S. News and World Report’s Best Foodie Tours in the United States, and it’s easy to see why. It combines the best of walking tours with food and wine tours for one complete package. It lasts approximately 3.5 hours and will take you on an easy walk down Main Street St. Helena.
The tour starts at Clif Family Winery for a brunch experience and wine tasting. Does “Clif Bar” sound familiar? That’s right, the same family that brought you the organic energy bar is also the one who runs this family winery. On this stop of the tour, you’ll get a history of the family and the winery as well as organic jams, nuts, and honey to pair with your wine. Talk about farm-fresh!
The next stop on this journey is the highly-rated Goose and Gander restaurant. This romantic restaurant is famous for their mushroom soup. So sip on a crisp wine or an award-winning cocktail and savor the crave-worthy soup. If the weather is good you can enjoy their koi pond outside on the patio.
Next stop: Model Bakery for their famous English muffins and other pastries, breads, and cookies. If you’re lucky, and the bakery isn’t too busy, you may even be able to tour the back kitchen and see their 1800’s bread ovens still in use!
Olivier’s is the stop for sampling locally sourced olive oils, vinegars, and other unique sauces. Try the chocolate spreads for some sweetness or the mustard spreads for tanginess. It’s a quaint little shop that you won’t’ want to leave!
From Olivier’s, you’ll go to Archetype, a farm-to-table restaurant with offerings of the best of Napa Valley wines. This restaurant serves creative dishes that are grown and harvested in a responsible manner. It’s the perfect stop before dessert!
It’s not over till you try some gourmet desserts at Woodhouse Chocolates! This little candy shop offers delectable handmade bites to suit any palate. Their tried-and-true flavors, as well as their seasonal collections, will have your mouth watering for more.
Plan Your Trip
St. Helena is just down the road from the Wine Way Inn and Craftsman Inn. It’s also home to a branch campus of the Culinary Institute of America, so you know you’re going to get good eats! Rest your weary feet after your walking tour with a stay at our inns. Better yet—let us arrange a private massage for a truly luxurious day! Book now!