Food & Drink
Welcome to Napa Valley — a foodie’s paradise! Our foodies guide to Calistoga, CA, will help you navigate all the possibilities. Napa Valley is known worldwide for its unique geographical attributes that make it perfect for growing vines. But what has sprouted up, as a result, is a culinary community that is second-to-none.
The valley not only produces exquisite wines, but it also grows a variety of crops that make eating in the valley a worthy goal. In fact, Calistoga specifically prides itself on its agricultural heritage and the delicious food that it produces. So, self-proclaimed foodies, you’re not going to want to miss this list of must-try Calistoga restaurants that will both satisfy your cravings and surprise you with their quality and execution.
Partner inns the Craftsman Inn and the Calistoga Wine Way Inn have collaborated with a local coffee shop to provide some delicious breakfast options. The Calistoga Roastery has breakfast sandwiches, smoothies, house-made pastries and granola, and an array of coffee or tea-based drinks. Our inns provide vouchers for breakfast at the cafe as well as in-room snack packs for when you’re on the go.
- Sam’s Social Club — Try this casual California spot for a light lunch. With bright, vibrant salads, sandwiches, and pizzas. There are also plenty of yummy smaller picks for the table to share. Brunch is served on the weekends with added egg dishes, bagels and toasts, and waffles and cinnamon rolls.
- Picobar at Solage — Sit poolside at this high-end bar to indulge in modern takes on classic Mexican street food like elote, salsas and queso, crudo and ceviche, and plenty of tacos to choose from.
- Solbar — This is a Calistoga must-try. Solbar offers a beautiful setting (think poolside seating and stylish, modern digs), and their truly exquisite fare is inspired by the California culinary scene.
- Fleetwood — This is a Calistoga’s local’s best-kept secret, with every dish hitting it out of the park. They are known for their wood-fired oven pizzas being the best thing on the menu by the ones who go there often. But they’ve also put their own spin on some classic Italian dishes, like wood oven roasted meatballs, California seasonal salads, classic bolognese made with short ribs, bright, vibrant proteins, and traditional Italian desserts.
- Tank Garage Winery — a gas station turned tasting room, this place has a relaxed, casual vibe. The tasting menu changes seasonally.
- Clos Pegase Winery & Tasting Room — wine flights, cave tours, acres of vineyards, and historic architecture await you at this premier Calistoga winery.
- Calistoga Inn Restaurant & Brewery — Try Martino’s peanut butter pie or the Meyer lemon icebox pie. You’ll enjoy the relaxing outdoor seating and casual vibe.
- Bella Bakery — If you have a craving for something sweet during the day, Bella Bakery is the perfect stop. Open every day until 2pm. So, grab a cinnamon roll, muffin, croissant, or a savory slice of quiche quickly. This is a local favorite that guests return to again and again.
The Craftsman Inn and the Wine Way Inn are a haven for traveling epicureans. We’d love to advise you on what places you should try that suit you best. Use our foodies guide to Calistoga, CA as a source for culinary delights. Calistoga is our home, and we love to share its beauty with you! Book a room today and see why guests come from around the world to this rich, fertile land for some of the best culinary experiences.
Updated: September 2022
The love of wine, food, and cycling come together at this special event happening in Napa Valley this spring. CampoVelo promises exciting group rides, exquisite wine tastings, and unique culinary demos to satisfy anyone’s palate. The event is hosted by Ride Napa Valley and celebrity chef, Chris Cosentino and will take place on May 1-3, 2020.
Three Days of Fun in the Sun
Dubbed as “more than a gran fondo,” CampoVelo welcomes celebrated chefs, pro-athletes, and the best vintners the region has to offer. Events cover three days and occur throughout the valley.
- May 1st—The weekend kicks off at the Clif Family Winery in St. Helena where you can pick up your goody bags, enjoy a glass of wine and mingle with a variety of folks involved in this exciting weekend. Friday evening will also feature a sponsor reception at Vineyard 29 which will include wine and food.
- May 2nd—Saturday will be a full day starting out with optional breakfast at the Calistoga Motor Lodge & Spa (We think you’ll enjoy our gourmet breakfast in the comfort of our cozy dining room much better!), followed by a nice three-hour ride from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. There are several options for different skill levels and interests, including mountain biking and e-biking. If you’re not ready for cycling just yet, you also have the option to do hiking and yoga during that time. Lunch is served from 12 p.m. – 2 p.m. at the Calistoga Motor Lodge & Spa. Choose from several options for wine tastings and culinary demos in the afternoon. Finish off the day with the “dinner of all dinners” designed by Chef Chris Cosentino.
- May 3rd—Sunday includes another optional breakfast from the Ranch Winery in St. Helena, followed by the BIG ride from 8 a.m. – 2 p.m. Again, there are several ride options to accommodate skill levels and personal preference. Close out the weekend with the BIG feast from 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. at the Ranch Winery. A live band will perform, and you’ll have the opportunity to relax with a glass of wine or beer and take in the satisfaction of a job well done.
Experience Ultimate Comfort and Luxury at the Wine Way Inn and Craftsman Inn
There is nothing like the amenities we offer at both of our Napa Valley lodging choices. The Wine Way Inn and Craftsman Inn provide exquisitely comfortable beds (important after a long day of cycling!), well-appointed bathrooms (relax sore muscles in our jetted claw-foot tub!), and a quiet, cozy atmosphere that you’ll want after a day of festivities. Reserve a room today as these dates fill up quickly!
Calling All Truffle Enthusiasts!
The Napa Truffle Festival weekend is coming up on January 17-20, 2020. It will bring together truffle experts from around the world who will share their knowledge of these delicious delicacies. Whether you’re a foodie looking to enjoy the exquisite and unique flavors of black truffles, or you’re looking to learn about the art and science of cultivating morels, there will be something for you!
The Napa Truffle Festival was started in 2010 by the American Truffle Company who wanted to bring their enthusiasm for all things truffle to the American public. The goal is twofold—to educate truffle enthusiasts and cultivators, while also showcases the truly remarkable flavors these little delicacies are capable of adding to a dish. The festival also focuses on giving back to the community by donating its proceeds to the food bank of Community Action of Napa Valley among other places.
Several wineries will be hosting the event, and Michelin star chefs will be creating the menu. Ken Frank, a Michelin star chef recognized as America’s expert on truffles, is the master behind the menu. He is the only American chef that has been invited to the exclusive White Truffle Festival in Alba, Italy and holds the title of Knight of the Truffle and Wines of Alba.
Experience the Complete Life Cycle of a Black Truffle
There is a broad range of activities being offered, from the scientific elements of growing truffles to cooking demonstrations and wine and food pairings. You can even choose to go on your own truffle hunt and learn about finding them in the wild. A truffle-hunting dog demonstration will be offered on Friday which will include wine tastings from Robert Sinsky Vineyards. Don’t miss the five-course dinner offered Saturday night by La Toque and the Michelin star chefs. To finish off a weekend of education and culinary delights, stop by the Oxbow Public Market to purchase fresh truffles to bring home and experiment for yourself.
Image Courtesy of Napa Truffle Festival
Make It a Long Weekend of Luxury
A stay at the Wine Way Inn or Craftsman Inn is the perfect way to experience this event. We are a quick drive from Napa and offer an incredible amount of amenities that will make your weekend perfect. Choose a room that suits your tastes and add on a decadent package of wine, cheese, or chocolates. Don’t miss your chance to experience this distinguished event in the heart of wine country!
The French Laundry celebrated 25 years of bringing exquisite fine dining to Napa Valley earlier this year, and it shows no signs of stopping. In those years, it has become a world-renowned foodie destination and continues to show that simple, fresh ingredients and superb service is all it takes to make a magical, Michelin 3-star culinary experience.
If you’re lucky enough to be able to get a reservation at the French Laundry—don’t miss it! Reservations are difficult to get, and it is the only way you’ll be able to experience this top-notch culinary delight. Reservations become available 2 months in advance and are usually booked almost immediately. That’s why we joke that it’s the only place we won’t even try to get you a reservation!
Parking can be tricky at the French Laundry, so plan extra time in your travel plans for that. If you happen to find a good spot easily, use that time to take a walk across the street to their vegetable garden. You are welcome to meander through the plots and get a preview of the menu!
In many ways, it’s the service that stands out as much as the food does. You will want for nothing while you dine. The staff will anticipate your needs and seamlessly provide you with the care and attention you would expect with a Michelin 3-star restaurant. So just allow yourself to sit back, relax, and enjoy having your taste buds catered to. Plan on the 9-course meal to take anywhere from three to four hours.
Don’t be shy about asking the waitstaff to answer any questions you have about the menu, wine pairings, the cooking process or ingredients. You’re even welcome to ask for a chance to thank the chef and see a little bit behind the scenes of the meal-making process if you want.
If you’ve been thinking about making a pilgrimage to North America’s finest restaurant, don’t wait any longer! Book a stay with us at the Calistoga Wine Way Inn or Craftsman Inn and see what exquisite flavors await you!
Photo of the French Laundry by Peter Merholz – Flickr, CC BY-SA 2.0, Link