Food & Drink
The love of wine, food, and cycling come together at this special event happening in Napa Valley this spring. CampoVelo promises exciting group rides, exquisite wine tastings, and unique culinary demos to satisfy anyone’s palate. The event is hosted by Ride Napa Valley and celebrity chef, Chris Cosentino and will take place on May 1-3, 2020.
Three Days of Fun in the Sun
Dubbed as “more than a gran fondo,” CampoVelo welcomes celebrated chefs, pro-athletes, and the best vintners the region has to offer. Events cover three days and occur throughout the valley.
- May 1st—The weekend kicks off at the Clif Family Winery in St. Helena where you can pick up your goody bags, enjoy a glass of wine and mingle with a variety of folks involved in this exciting weekend. Friday evening will also feature a sponsor reception at Vineyard 29 which will include wine and food.
- May 2nd—Saturday will be a full day starting out with optional breakfast at the Calistoga Motor Lodge & Spa (We think you’ll enjoy our gourmet breakfast in the comfort of our cozy dining room much better!), followed by a nice three-hour ride from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. There are several options for different skill levels and interests, including mountain biking and e-biking. If you’re not ready for cycling just yet, you also have the option to do hiking and yoga during that time. Lunch is served from 12 p.m. – 2 p.m. at the Calistoga Motor Lodge & Spa. Choose from several options for wine tastings and culinary demos in the afternoon. Finish off the day with the “dinner of all dinners” designed by Chef Chris Cosentino.
- May 3rd—Sunday includes another optional breakfast from the Ranch Winery in St. Helena, followed by the BIG ride from 8 a.m. – 2 p.m. Again, there are several ride options to accommodate skill levels and personal preference. Close out the weekend with the BIG feast from 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. at the Ranch Winery. A live band will perform, and you’ll have the opportunity to relax with a glass of wine or beer and take in the satisfaction of a job well done.
Experience Ultimate Comfort and Luxury at the Wine Way Inn and Craftsman Inn
There is nothing like the amenities we offer at both of our Napa Valley lodging choices. The Wine Way Inn and Craftsman Inn provide exquisitely comfortable beds (important after a long day of cycling!), well-appointed bathrooms (relax sore muscles in our jetted claw-foot tub!), and a quiet, cozy atmosphere that you’ll want after a day of festivities. Reserve a room today as these dates fill up quickly!
Calling All Truffle Enthusiasts!
The Napa Truffle Festival weekend is coming up on January 17-20, 2020. It will bring together truffle experts from around the world who will share their knowledge of these delicious delicacies. Whether you’re a foodie looking to enjoy the exquisite and unique flavors of black truffles, or you’re looking to learn about the art and science of cultivating morels, there will be something for you!
The Napa Truffle Festival was started in 2010 by the American Truffle Company who wanted to bring their enthusiasm for all things truffle to the American public. The goal is twofold—to educate truffle enthusiasts and cultivators, while also showcases the truly remarkable flavors these little delicacies are capable of adding to a dish. The festival also focuses on giving back to the community by donating its proceeds to the food bank of Community Action of Napa Valley among other places.
Several wineries will be hosting the event, and Michelin star chefs will be creating the menu. Ken Frank, a Michelin star chef recognized as America’s expert on truffles, is the master behind the menu. He is the only American chef that has been invited to the exclusive White Truffle Festival in Alba, Italy and holds the title of Knight of the Truffle and Wines of Alba.
Experience the Complete Life Cycle of a Black Truffle
There is a broad range of activities being offered, from the scientific elements of growing truffles to cooking demonstrations and wine and food pairings. You can even choose to go on your own truffle hunt and learn about finding them in the wild. A truffle-hunting dog demonstration will be offered on Friday which will include wine tastings from Robert Sinsky Vineyards. Don’t miss the five-course dinner offered Saturday night by La Toque and the Michelin star chefs. To finish off a weekend of education and culinary delights, stop by the Oxbow Public Market to purchase fresh truffles to bring home and experiment for yourself.
Image Courtesy of Napa Truffle Festival
Make It a Long Weekend of Luxury
A stay at the Wine Way Inn or Craftsman Inn is the perfect way to experience this event. We are a quick drive from Napa and offer an incredible amount of amenities that will make your weekend perfect. Choose a room that suits your tastes and add on a decadent package of wine, cheese, or chocolates. Don’t miss your chance to experience this distinguished event in the heart of wine country!
Napa Valley is known worldwide for its unique geographical attributes that make it perfect for wine growing. But what has sprouted up as a result of this unique set of features is also a culinary community that is second-to-none. The valley not only produces exquisite wines, but it also grows all sorts of crops that make eating in the valley a worthy goal in and of itself. In fact, Calistoga specifically prides itself on its unique agricultural heritage and the delicious food that it produces. So if you’re a self-proclaimed foodie, you’re not going to want to miss this list of the must-try Calistoga restaurants that will both satisfy your cravings but also surprise you with its quality and unique execution.
- The Craftsman Inn—Whether you’re looking for healthy choices or vacation indulgences, the breakfast served at the Craftsman Inn will satisfy no matter your mood. Choose from homemade granola, fresh, seasonal fruits, homemade yoghurt, the hot dish of the day, and more.
- The Calistoga Wine Way Inn—Enjoy your gourmet breakfast in the glass-roofed dining room or one of the charming garden tables. Sip your signature Craftsman Inn Blend coffee served French press style while you indulge with some freshly baked scones, homemade yogurt, and a delicious hot dish of the day.
- Calistoga Roastery—Enjoy a quick bite at this local cafe offering sandwiches, bagels, and other bakery items.
- Cafe Sarafornia—This little diner offers breakfast all day, burgers, sandwiches, salads, as well as craft beers and local wines.
- Solbar—This is a Calistoga must-try. Solbar offers a beautiful setting (think poolside seating and stylish, modern digs) along with their truly exquisite fare inspired by the California culinary scene.
- Evangeline—Where Creole soul meets the California spirit. This quaint bistro offers dishes that will surprise and inspire you. When you stay with us, you can add the Wine & Dine package for a $100 voucher to Evangeline!
- Lovina—This casual, comfortable spot is perfect for relaxing at the end of your day in Napa Valley. Enjoy a glass of wine from their wine list or bring your own bottle (with a small corkage fee).
- Calistoga Inn Restaurant & Brewery—Try their berry crumble or their peanut butter pie. You’ll enjoy the relaxing outdoor seating and casual vibe of this Calistoga eatery.
- Bella Bakery—If you have a hankering for something sweet during the day, Bella Bakery is the perfect stop. Grab a cinnamon roll, muffin, croissant, or a savory slice of quiche. This is a local favorite that guests return to again and again.
The Craftsman Inn and the Wine Way Inn are a haven for traveling foodies. We’d love to give you advice on what places you should try that suit you best. Calistoga is our home, and we love to share its beauty with our guests! Book a room today and see why guests come from all over the world to this rich, fertile land for some of the best culinary experiences available.
The French Laundry celebrated 25 years of bringing exquisite fine dining to Napa Valley earlier this year, and it shows no signs of stopping. In those years, it has become a world-renowned foodie destination and continues to show that simple, fresh ingredients and superb service is all it takes to make a magical, Michelin 3-star culinary experience.
If you’re lucky enough to be able to get a reservation at the French Laundry—don’t miss it! Reservations are difficult to get, and it is the only way you’ll be able to experience this top-notch culinary delight. Reservations become available 2 months in advance and are usually booked almost immediately. That’s why we joke that it’s the only place we won’t even try to get you a reservation!
Parking can be tricky at the French Laundry, so plan extra time in your travel plans for that. If you happen to find a good spot easily, use that time to take a walk across the street to their vegetable garden. You are welcome to meander through the plots and get a preview of the menu!
In many ways, it’s the service that stands out as much as the food does. You will want for nothing while you dine. The staff will anticipate your needs and seamlessly provide you with the care and attention you would expect with a Michelin 3-star restaurant. So just allow yourself to sit back, relax, and enjoy having your taste buds catered to. Plan on the 9-course meal to take anywhere from three to four hours.
Don’t be shy about asking the waitstaff to answer any questions you have about the menu, wine pairings, the cooking process or ingredients. You’re even welcome to ask for a chance to thank the chef and see a little bit behind the scenes of the meal-making process if you want.
If you’ve been thinking about making a pilgrimage to North America’s finest restaurant, don’t wait any longer! Book a stay with us at the Calistoga Wine Way Inn or Craftsman Inn and see what exquisite flavors await you!
Photo of the French Laundry by Peter Merholz – Flickr, CC BY-SA 2.0, Link